COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS CONFERENCE
Monday February 10, 2014 6:30 – 9 p.m.
Faith Baptist Church – Fellowship Hall
11835 County Road CC Festus, Mo. 63028
Designed for: School Superintendents, School Board Members, Public & Private School Teachers, Concerned Citizens, Parents, Grandparents, and Home-School Families.
The Missouri Board of Education (DESE) adopted the national K-12 Common Core Standards in English and Math in 2010 in order to score points on a federal grant competition (Race to the Top) … a competition we did not win….money we did not get! As a result we now have the common core standards, and they are of poor quality.
- They fail to prepare students for studies in science, technology, engineering and math.
- They put our students two years behind their peers in high-performing countries by eight grade, and even worse for high school.
- In English language arts, the Common Core severely de-emphasizes the study of classic literature in the favor of the drab and simplistic “informational” texts. It does this despite the fact that the overwhelming evidence is that children should be reading more classic literature.
- Prominent child psychiatrists and psychologists have heavily criticized the standards as being age-inappropriate for young children.
Material to be covered:
- The History of Common Core Standards – The Players, the Money, the Deception
- Missouri Statutes that protect Local Control of Education
- Common Core’s Dangerous Impact on Early Childhood Education
- Student testing that works for no one.
- Tracking Our Children’s Data – The child as Human Capital & Changes to the FERPA Law.
- Missouri Strategy to “Take Back Our Schools”
Speakers: Anne Gassel, Dr. Mary Byrne, Gretchen Logue will be the presenters.
Common Core State Standards produces:
Loss of Local Control
Loss of Privacy
Loss of Parental Rights
Bulk of costs (through increased taxes) will fall on state or local school district